Telenor Health: The Digital Front Door to Health
Telenor Health is a purpose-driven, digital health subsidiary established by Telenor Group in 2015. It is the first step in addressing NCDs and other pressing health needs. Its purpose is an extension of Telenor Group’s vision of “empowering societies” and its commitment to Asia as the group continually explores new ways to harness technology for the betterment of lives and communities.
We believe that all Bangladeshis deserve healthcare services that meet world class standards for clinical quality, and ensuring that our services are safe, effective, patient-centered, and accessible is a core operating principle for Telenor Health.
Tonic is an expression of Telenor Health’s view that technology can have the greatest impact when it is used to ‘connect the dots’ across an individual’s wellness and health experience. It is one of the first digital offerings to address the full spectrum of wellness and health needs through a joined-up, integrated service. By combining prevention-focused digital content, phone-based access to primary care, and tools to finance hospital care, Tonic serves as the gateway towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and helps “members” and their families make better choices across their health journey.
The membership includes:
- Health Tips: Free tips and advice on how to live well and maintain a healthy family via SMS, the web, and Facebook. Content will become increasingly personalized over time as members continue to interact with Tonic.
- Tonic Doctor: Immediate access to advice on general medical queries from a trained doctor via the phone, 24 hours a day, seven days a week at an affordable rate of Tk 5 per minute. Doctors are backed by robust quality standards and protocols.
- Tonic Discounts: Free access to discounts of up to 50% on bed rates, tests, specialists, and other services at over 200 of the most popular hospitals, pharmacies, diagnostics and lifestyle brands across Bangladesh.
- Tonic Cash: Free coverage for Tk 1000 cash benefit (insurance) if hospitalized for three nights or more, paid directly to the member’s mobile banking wallet. Members can claim up to four times a year, and no conditions are excluded.
- Tonic Mobile App: The Tonic app was introduced which is tailor-made to meet the needs of a growing digital Bangladesh; providing information in Bangla and streamlining access to all of its core services – Tonic Discount, Tonic Cash, Tonic Daktar, and Tonic Jibon – from within the app.
Eligibility for Tonic
Telenor Health is partnering with Grameenphone to bring Tonic to the mobile network operator’s 57 million customers free of charge. Any Grameenphone user can join Tonic for free via the 789 short code (USSD and IVR), mytonic.com, and at any Grameenphone retailer. To remain a member in good standing of Tonic -- and continue to receive all of the Tonic benefits -- the user simply needs to make a call, send an SMS, or browse the web with their Grameenphone SIM once a month.